iPod News, Tweaks, Fixes, Tutorials, Reviews, Tips

Top 5 Concept Add-on Ideas for iPhone

39,915 views

Posted by admin, 26 Comments

I started compiling information for this article before the unveiling of the iPhone at MacWorld on Wednesday. As a result, I had to modify a couple nominations for the Top 5 Concept Add-on Ideas for the iPhone. Originally, this was supposed to be for the iPod, but I think its best suited for the iPhone now. There’s no doubt that Apple’s new iPhone comes with spectacular features and functions. Nonetheless, here are concepts some people and iPod Legends would like to see in the next generation iPhone. Let’s start with #5.

5) Commercial GPS, an ever expanding market that’s becoming more popular every day. Finding your way around has never been easier. Now that we have an all-seeing eye guiding us, it’s almost impossible to get lost. Thus, commercial GPS on the iPhone would be extremely practical and is our #5 nomination. (Image courtesy of NASA)

4) Coming in at #4 is voice recognition. Two things come to my mind: 1. Note Taking, and 2. Universal Translator. These two options will probably be most popular among those who travel for business a lot, but still will hold useful options for the majority. Note taking by voice will cut the slow speed of writing or typing while still giving you an electronic copy of your notes. Next, the universal translator eliminates the need for a human translator or carrying a bulky dictionary.

3) The ability to receive and send a TV signal or FM/AM signal wirelessly from the iPhone will be our third nomination. Beef up the iPhone with this feature and you can be watching and listening your favorite shows and music anywhere with a TV or stereo, and could easily be integrated with the just-unveiled Apple TV device.

2) #2 on the list is a little farfetched, but it was too cool to pass up. A portable projector small enough to fit into your pocket has not yet been invented. However, once this technology is developed, combining a portable projector with the iPhone would make the iPhone worthy to be called an all-in-one device. A portable projector small enough to fit into your pocket….. I must be dreaming.

1) Last, but perhaps the most practical, feasible, and possible concept is a credit card. No, no, I don’t mean the flimsy plastic thing, I mean the iPhone! Imagine going to a store and swiping your phone to pay for your purchase. Actually, you don’t have to imagine. In fact, in some places in Japan, the phone is being used to pay for daily goods by utilizing RFID tags. Some normal plastic credit cards in the US are even using RFID tags to “wave” the card rather than swipe it. It may just be the next big thing…. (Image courtesy of Microsoft Clipart)

There you have it. Our Top 5 Concept Add-on Ideas for the next generation iPhone. Imagine it, and embrace it! ‘cuz these concepts will be in your hands in no time!

What do you think? Have suggestions? Comment below.

[Digg] [Facebook] [StumbleUpon] [Reddit] [del.icio.us] [Technorati] [Slashdot] [Google]

Tags: News · Reviews

26 responses so far ↓

• 1 Kepler // Feb 1, 2007 at 12:16 am

Clever ideas, and I think the built-in GPS would be most likely (by the 3rd Gen iPhone, my guess). A VR note-taking program would be pretty useful, but a universal translator is still relatively far from being developed and perfected. Forget it being implemented into an iPhone; a universal translator just being advanced enough to be able to replace a translator would be a breakthrough in its own right.

The mini-projector is in development. http://www.engadget.com/2006/02/13/new-pvpro-mini-projector-has-no-moving-parts/

• 2 Kuo // Feb 5, 2007 at 2:55 am

Wow, awesome, never knew that the mini-projector was already in development.

• 3 Peter // Jun 19, 2007 at 9:56 am

Concept #2 is already here: http://www.mitsubishi-presentations.com/products/projectors/PK20.html.

You can carry it in their overcoat pocket. Well, it will fit in a big pocket.

• 4 mike // Jul 1, 2007 at 8:52 pm

I really think the next generation iphone will have the camera facing the viewer. Just like the built in isight cams in current macs, this will integrate with a phone version of iChat to deliver real live video chat right to your phone. Think about it, this should be very easy to manufacture into the iphone, and would change the way we communicate forever. I don’t even think this is beyond feasible. Sure the transmitting infastructure might need to evolve but this could be the key to Apple’s future plans. Video chatting/talking with the iPhone.

• 5 Carl // Jul 17, 2007 at 12:06 pm

FYI: Belgian banks have joined forces and developed a prtocol to use mobile phones as debit cards! This service is currently being rolled out.

• 6 Christopher Blubaugh // Sep 6, 2007 at 5:06 pm

Seems like good suggestions. Some a little more far reaching than others. I noticed one obvious omission though…3G. The iPhone NEEDS to be 3G WWAN capable.

• 7 Danielle and Chris // Jan 2, 2008 at 9:39 am

My friend is a speech therapist. She just got the iphone for xmas. It’s incredible! In her line of work, Danielle works with individuals who are physycally constrained and unable to formulate pronunciations or vocals all together. This iphone would be able to help so many people if it were to have programming available to speak for the person as words/phrases were chosen or typed. I don’t know if this is available for such a compact item but, the technology could be increasingly helpful for a number of people!

• 8 SweetTown // Feb 6, 2008 at 1:54 am

The pocket mini projector was my favorite of the current top five. Maybe, it is asking a lot to hope for a mini projector that could project a 19inch widescreen or larger.

My hope is to see a future generation IPhone that could be inserted into or interfaced with a home entertainment projector or HDTV.

• 9 SweetTown // Feb 6, 2008 at 2:17 am

I have an old navigation system in my car 2004. Not biting to hard, I’ll hold out to replace it until I see a system with features and design more like the IPhone.
    What would make me happy would be to have the IPhone link to a larger iphone version touch screen display, say 7inch in my car with voice, xlator, GPS, Handsfree, Bluetooth, etc.

• 10 Greg // Feb 25, 2008 at 3:07 pm

I agree with mike on the videochat idea. Totally feasible. I also like the projector idea, but I think it would be amazing to have a tiny wireless hand held device to go with it, contolling a mouse cursor (minority report, anyone?).

• 11 dbrowne // Mar 30, 2008 at 11:30 pm

Providing a translator would do wonders for the world. Imagine talking into your iphone and having it change your words into the language of choice, Hey! What about recording video? dozens of other phones have it. Now…Video chatting would change the face of the cellphone world….something I know apple is trying to do. I would love an AM/FM receiver . TV would be a plus. Verizon has that already.

• 12 Dcola // Jan 1, 2009 at 10:50 pm

The iphone really needs flash player, a better camera, an integrated radio/ TV to be able to record videos, to be able to download ringtones/music over the cellular network, and send video and picture messages like a normal phone.

• 13 Dcola // Jan 1, 2009 at 10:52 pm

And maybe for it to be used like a flash drive so somebody can easily transport files from their computers.

• 14 Lesbiche // Jan 26, 2009 at 11:32 am

Nice site you have!

• 15 Rick // Feb 4, 2009 at 7:28 pm

The one thing that I would love to see on the iPhone is dual cameras. The first camera would be the one that is currently on the phone (except with video capabilities, of course). However, the second camera would be an isight camera on the face of the phone, to allow for video conferencing through AIM, Skype, etc. I believe this is the future of cell phones. We have a phone that can understand what song is playing when held to a speaker, so why shouldn’t we be able to video chat on the same device. This would truly make people’s lives mobile.

• 16 lieben // Mar 6, 2009 at 7:28 am

Interessante Informationen.

• 17 admin // Jul 20, 2009 at 4:27 pm

:D

• 18 Mark almerez // Apr 28, 2010 at 8:47 am

I have an amazing idea that will make someone rich!!!!! I wish it was me however I have so many good ideas this one I toss to the cosmos.
    iControl
    it looks and feels like a game console controler however you slide your iPhone or touch in the middle. This would allow you to hold the iPhone with your hands further apart and texting with thumbs comfortabley, version 2 would have buttons on the side similar to a game controler. U could have cheap ones that just snap on the sides that allow u to hold it better. OMG wait! The iGrip see how ideas flow through my head I’m so iSmart the apple products are very stylish however seldom erogonomic

• 19 Iphone Jailbreak // May 18, 2010 at 10:11 pm

is it true that iphone 4G will be release on july ?

• 20 jismo // May 25, 2011 at 12:05 am

My idea is bringing out an iphone that takes two sim cards at the same time. I have a personal phone (which i carry around on me all the time & only give number to selected people that i will always answer to). And a secondary phone (that i carry around with me sometimes & give number to everyone & anyone that is not important, & answer when i feel like it). I wish it could be both in 1 phone & save me carrying around 2 phones. Sometimes people have 2 phones because of the 2 different deals that 2 different phone networks have (i’ve done that in the past). Also currently my personal phone is a monthly credit because i use it often, & my secondary phone is 365 day credit because i dont use it much). I dont believe the idea would reduce phone sales because the secondary phone is usually an older one (like mine). And also i dont think its common that people go out & buy two $800 phones for 2 different sim cards.

• 21 jismo // Jun 7, 2011 at 6:43 am

Also at some stage i’l be snipping the secondary sim & getting a new number when i feel that enough of the un-important world has the number.

• 22 jismo // Oct 30, 2011 at 6:36 am

Also its handy having a 365 day plan because it means you have back-up to send an sms in times of need instead of having to top-up the monthly plan straight away for 1 important sms

• 23 docgreene1 // May 8, 2012 at 9:01 pm

What should the next iPhone have?

By learning from my Macbook air… it must be thinner!
    Features,
    1. The compass is still cool
    2. Maps rule
    3. Various clocks calculator etc, all that is good
    4. Cameras are great; leave them alone (do not put stupid 3D in there please!)
    5. iOS is kicking it well. Just keep up

Possible new features,
    1. Solar charging?
    2. Thermocouple charging (from hand temp)?
    3. Infrared light (for night video and ‘temp sensing with cam’)?
    4. Solid aluminum body (like Macbook air)?
    5. Thunderbolt to Macs for charging and back up or to other iPhone etc.?
    6. More capacity (256gb)?
    7. Enable thumb drive access to part of drive in a sand box?
    8. Put the phone speaker on top, the home button on back and keep the whole front as a screen?
    9. Definitely make is styled like a Macbook air, sharp edges, wedged and ports in the sides for micro SDXC cards (for music videos of course ☺)
    10. Most important! Make it tuff enough that no one has to get a cheap plastic case for it.

• 24 jaminewson // Jun 4, 2012 at 9:09 am

I have only one new idea for the iPhone but I think it is one the will make apple alot of success with the new iPhone I have noticed the you only get three try’s for your password before your iPhone locks which is great if your phone has been stolen but if you miss put it in three times you have to go through the process of proving its yours to get it unlocked or risk having it locked forever but for the new iPhone how about having a finger print scanner for the lock and unlock theres no way if it’s your phone why it would lock on you and if you sell it have it to where you would still have to unlock it then let the person that buys it change the finger print but let me know what you think text Jamin 404-433-8540

• 25 daranand // May 9, 2013 at 10:09 am

For a future edition of Iphone I would like to have a feature that is not strictly technological. I would want the Iphone screen to take on the look of a mirror.The screen must transform into a mirror purely by the use of the screen hue and not use the camera. The user must be able to see himself in natural light. As it is now the screen is able to display silver colored objects. So it may not be difficult for the whole screen to take on the color of a mirror finish that would show the image of the looker.It would be a big hit with fashion minded ladies in particular.

• 26 MikeyThorpe // May 30, 2013 at 11:53 am

I’ve always looked at getting a personalised case for my iPhone, and it made me think, what about having a screen (not a touch screen) on the back of the iPhone where you can choose an image from your photo album and it will be shown on the screen at the back of the phone, a bit like a lock screen but for the back of the phone. This way you could show family and friends photographs without needed to unlock your phone. There could also be a slide show options where multiple pictures could be seen, shown one by one after a few seconds.

You must log in to post a comment.