I started compiling information for this article before the unveiling of the iPhone at MacWorld on Wednesday. As a result, I had to modify a couple nominations for the Top 5 Concept Add-on Ideas for the iPhone. Originally, this was supposed to be for the iPod, but I think its best suited for the iPhone now. There’s no doubt that Apple’s new iPhone comes with spectacular features and functions. Nonetheless, here are concepts some people and iPod Legends would like to see in the next generation iPhone. Let’s start with #5.
5) Commercial GPS, an ever expanding market that’s becoming more popular every day. Finding your way around has never been easier. Now that we have an all-seeing eye guiding us, it’s almost impossible to get lost. Thus, commercial GPS on the iPhone would be extremely practical and is our #5 nomination. (Image courtesy of NASA)
4) Coming in at #4 is voice recognition. Two things come to my mind: 1. Note Taking, and 2. Universal Translator. These two options will probably be most popular among those who travel for business a lot, but still will hold useful options for the majority. Note taking by voice will cut the slow speed of writing or typing while still giving you an electronic copy of your notes. Next, the universal translator eliminates the need for a human translator or carrying a bulky dictionary.
3) The ability to receive and send a TV signal or FM/AM signal wirelessly from the iPhone will be our third nomination. Beef up the iPhone with this feature and you can be watching and listening your favorite shows and music anywhere with a TV or stereo, and could easily be integrated with the just-unveiled Apple TV device.
2) #2 on the list is a little farfetched, but it was too cool to pass up. A portable projector small enough to fit into your pocket has not yet been invented. However, once this technology is developed, combining a portable projector with the iPhone would make the iPhone worthy to be called an all-in-one device. A portable projector small enough to fit into your pocket….. I must be dreaming.
1) Last, but perhaps the most practical, feasible, and possible concept is a credit card. No, no, I don’t mean the flimsy plastic thing, I mean the iPhone! Imagine going to a store and swiping your phone to pay for your purchase. Actually, you don’t have to imagine. In fact, in some places in Japan, the phone is being used to pay for daily goods by utilizing RFID tags. Some normal plastic credit cards in the US are even using RFID tags to “wave” the card rather than swipe it. It may just be the next big thing…. (Image courtesy of Microsoft Clipart)
There you have it. Our Top 5 Concept Add-on Ideas for the next generation iPhone. Imagine it, and embrace it! ‘cuz these concepts will be in your hands in no time!
What do you think? Have suggestions? Comment below.